Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Beantown and Back


So after being in Atlanta for one week, moving things into my office, and starting my job, I took my first business trip: a six day conference in Boston. I agreed to attend this conference before Kristen decided to move here with me and I felt pretty bad leaving her all by herself for a week but she survived, despite some occasional boredom.

The most exciting part of the conference was that it was held mainly at Mark's church (Arlington Street Church) so I got to spend most of my first week at work with Mark. As some of you may know, Mark and I are VERY GOOD FRIENDS and we like to sing songs and dance about whether we're in public or not so it makes for a good time. I got to stay at Mark's great apartment in Jamaica Plain and one night as Mark and I performed a clapping phase by Steve Reich, our friend Jeff Krause heard us from a street over and came to hang out with us.

The conference was exhausting but really great. I learned a lot of great music and met some great people. It was also very spiritually satisfying. I sang a gospel solo at the big service on Sunday which was really fun. Also, Mark and I got to sing one of our favorite covers (Friendship by Tenacious D) in front of a pretty large crowd, many of whom were in their 80's. But the best part of this talent show in which we sang was being totally shown up but an 81 year old woman who played the piano and sang a raunchy song in her old lady voice; it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

Now I'm back in town having board meetings and planning sessions. This job is going to be so very much work but it's going to be great. We're already talking about ways to change the services and the ministers are very excited about and supportive of my ideas.

Kristen and I have been enjoying some good restaurants and have gone out twice with the former music director at my church (still the accompanist). He's a really fun guy and has taken us to two fabulous restaurants. Tomorrow the adult choir is throwing a party for Kristen and Me which will be a lot of fun and a great chance to meet the members.

Well, I'm going to go back to watching the Olympics. Michael Phelps is the man (GO BLUE!!) and as Kristen says, "Watching the Olympics is like crack."

Sending lots of love to my friends and family.

No comments: